Tuesday, April 25, 2006

E-Mail I have sent to USBC

Gentleman:
I have been running junior tournaments in the Northeast for the past five years.
I have been using SMART until just recently...

I am more than concerned about the operations of the USBC organization. I have
previously requested an accounting of the SMART program and the Jr. Gold
National Championship. I wanted a copy of the audited statements. I was told I
couldn't have them. It is really audacious to try to strong arm me into
investing my junior bowlers scholarship money in your fund without any assurance
that it will be well managed.

I also think the allocated portion of Jr. Gold entry fees to expenses is
absolutely exorbitant....$104,000, give or take, to run a tournament...not
counting entry fees for survivors, doubles and team events, and opening and
closing ceremonies and membership fees of $25/$30 per member (whether or not
they qualify for the tournament)...come on.

Last year the entry fee allocation for Jr. Gold was 50-50-50. 50x1500=75,000
plus other fees. How that could not be sufficient is beyond me. Scholarships
awarded were $50,000. What happened to the other $25,000? I assume that is the
$25,000 you have so generously added to this year's purse.

I work hard to provide a decent amount of scholarship dollars for my bowlers
without just handing it over to anyone with carte blanche in management of if. I
provide nearly the only chance the junior bowlers in New England have to qualify
for Jr. Gold.

There seems to be a strong undercurrent of displeasure with USBC with the
revision of your non-awards program. There is no high school bowling in
Connecticut or most of New England. And I see no prospect of it in the near
future. Without the rings/medals/scholarship dollars to recognize their
achievements, what is the advantage to them for me to continue sanctioning my
tournaments?

Kathi McCaw
Northeast Junior Scratch Tour

No comments: